We never usually do anything special for Valentine's Day. We usually get each other a card. For the life of me I cannot remember if we even did that last year... (Pregnant brain) Well, this year, (after having forgotten to celebrate our anniversary) James surprised me by telling me the Thursday before Valentine's Day that he wanted to make me dinner on Saturday because he had to work on Sunday night. I immediately picked lasagna which neither of us has ever made before. James's mother has a great recipe so we used hers. He made me lasagna, I helped a little just because we make a great team in the kitchen. I made a salad, and we had a candle lit dinner with sparkling cider in champagne glasses. Landon loved watching the bubbles float to the top of James's champagne glass. It was so romantic and even fun to have Landon there too. Then Sunday, I came downstairs to a Valentine's Day card propped up on a picture frame at the bottom of the stairs. And I have to say, this card is the most perfect card I have ever been given. I cried even. (yeah, still hormonal 9 months after pregnancy) I told James that if he got me that card for the rest of my life, I wouldn't mind. As long as what he wrote in it each time was different of course.
Yeah, my brothers call me high-maintenance, but it really doesn't take that much to make me happy. When I was a teenager, I had a boyfriend for a little over a year. We fought like cats and dogs. (don't know how the relationship lasted that long) He bought me TONS of stuff. Roses (the really nice, expensive ones) he would have them delivered to me at school all the time. He bought me other stuff and took me out to dinner all the time. When we broke up, I had a few boxes of stuff that he had given me. So, stay at home cooked meals and candle lit dinners are just what I want. Flowers and dinners out on the town and things... I became to hate them. They have a negative meaning to me.
I am not saying that James is better than any one's husband that might take them out and buy them things and such. I am just explaining a little about us.

If you look at my engagement ring, you will see, I am a pretty simple gal. It is a ring that cost about $60 dollars. It has a microscopic diamond and the way the two ends turn out, we had a wedding ring specially made for it. All in all it cost $460. James doesn't believe that it is the one that I wanted. He thinks that I just didn't want him to spend a lot of money. Really, it is what I want. The only thing that I would like to change about it, is one day, when we have the money, I would like to have them fused together. When they come apart, (there is a notch so that they fit together) it snags my clothes and pretty much everything else. So, there you have it. I am a simple girl and it doesn't take much to make me feel loved.
2 comments:
Amen to that. It's about how they make you feel versus what they can do/get you!
That is great! It usually means more to me when hubby does the dishes or gets the kids into bed than large expensive gifts that use up our budget :) He doesn't believe me either when I say "I don't really want anything". So glad you like your ring too... that is all that counts!
Post a Comment