Okay, this snake is small, but not sure if it is a baby or adolescent.
This morning I was washing out my cereal bowl and saw something wriggling around on the floor by my feet. I instinctively jumped back and there was a small copperhead snake under the cupboard in striking position. I called James but he didn't answer, then I called my brother Javier who used to catch snakes as a kid. He mentioned getting a neighbor. So I called my friend Carrie and asked if her husband Michael was home. He wasn't home from working yet, so I told her what was going on and at this time I was in panic mode and crying. I didn't want it go somewhere else, and it was in striking position so I wasn't going to try and catch it... She told me to call animal control and she would be right over. I called animal control and they said someone was on the way. We have a kitchen that is right off the garage and has a door way into the dining room and a walkway from the garage door to the rest of the house. I kept going from one entrance of the kitchen to the other and trying to catch him off guard, but every time I got to one entrance, he was already looking in my direction. He was not only ready to strike, but he was very smart...
So, Carrie got to the house and told me that Michael had just gotten home and was right behind her. He came in and shined the flashlight on it and confirmed that it was indeed a copperhead snake. They brought a bucket to catch it, but the way it was under the cupboard, that wasn't going to happen. I was so worried that they would get bitten I just wanted to wait for animal control. Eventually Michael decided to smash its neck with a camping prong and took it outside. I was so relieved that it was dead and didn't hide somewhere. About an hour later the animal control guy showed up and just verified that it was a copperhead. He was turning it over with his snake prong thingy and it started to move. I jumped back and he said, "Don't worry that is just me moving it." And then it moved its head in his direction and he said, "Oh, I guess its not dead..." and then he killed it, AGAIN.
I still am a little freaked out. All day I have been looking around every few minutes for any other snakes that might be lurking and I have been trying to not walk next to any furniture that I can't see under, which is just about everything. Well, I am not ready for winter, but now, I am so ready for it to get really cold!
Of course the words of wisdom from my brother Bryan were" Kista, if that snake bit Landon, you wouldn't know what was wrong with him and he would die." Thanks Bryan, like I wasn't already worried enough.
So, Carrie got to the house and told me that Michael had just gotten home and was right behind her. He came in and shined the flashlight on it and confirmed that it was indeed a copperhead snake. They brought a bucket to catch it, but the way it was under the cupboard, that wasn't going to happen. I was so worried that they would get bitten I just wanted to wait for animal control. Eventually Michael decided to smash its neck with a camping prong and took it outside. I was so relieved that it was dead and didn't hide somewhere. About an hour later the animal control guy showed up and just verified that it was a copperhead. He was turning it over with his snake prong thingy and it started to move. I jumped back and he said, "Don't worry that is just me moving it." And then it moved its head in his direction and he said, "Oh, I guess its not dead..." and then he killed it, AGAIN.
I still am a little freaked out. All day I have been looking around every few minutes for any other snakes that might be lurking and I have been trying to not walk next to any furniture that I can't see under, which is just about everything. Well, I am not ready for winter, but now, I am so ready for it to get really cold!
Of course the words of wisdom from my brother Bryan were" Kista, if that snake bit Landon, you wouldn't know what was wrong with him and he would die." Thanks Bryan, like I wasn't already worried enough.
2 comments:
Sometimes people are so helpful with their comments... ;) So scary. So glad you got it out! Good luck outdoor proofing your house.
PS- why does it matter if it was a baby or adolescent? Venom?
you are one brave mommy! I would have RUN out the house with baby in tote screaming for my neighbor...and yes they would have thought I was crazy but hey...theres a snake!!
Post a Comment