Monday, November 14, 2011

Where does the time go?

Don't worry, I didn't just update 27 posts in almost one day to sit back and forget that I am still not up to date.  I had three craft shows since then and had to take a break from blogging and get some serious sewing done.  I have one craft show left this holiday season, but I have a few weeks in between to get some more updating done.
Landon has been so much fun lately.  It has been pretty hard for him with me sewing so much lately.  One day, he came upstairs and as soon as he saw me at the sewing machine, he broke down into sobs.  Total Mommy guilt.  So I decided to only sew on James's days off.  That was hard for me because I felt like I didn't get any quality family time (I love to see James and Landon play together).  But we survived and all in all, it was the best way to go.  I did really well this craft show season and it was the boost I needed to get excited about my baby blankets and things again.  I think after this last craft show I really need to get my website looking better or just get an Etsy shoppe...
Anyways, Lately we have been having fun in the yard trying to catch the leaves as they fall to the ground.  Let me just say, having a ton of leaves in the yard is much more fun when you have little ones to jump in them with.
We have also tried some potty training.  A few months ago, Landon starting grunting and I asked him if he wanted to go poop on the potty.  He said yes and off we went into the bathroom.  Well, it started out great and then he didn't want to sit anymore.  It took me a while to figure out that he was constipated.  By the time I figured it out and offered for me to put a diaper on, it was too late.  Let's just say it was a pretty traumatic experience and the potty training has been put on hold since.
Right now, he is in pull ups so he gets the feel of "underwear" and pulling them up and down.  We also have him going into the bathroom to watch Daddy go "pee pee in the potty".  The first time we did this, I was giving the commentary.  As soon as I said the word penis, I got a case of the giggles and couldn't continue.  Then James got the giggles and we are lucky there wasn't a huge mess.  I have since stayed out of the bathroom and have enjoyed hearing James say, "Don't touch it!"  as Landon tries to play with the urine as James is peeing.  Growing up in my house, we really didn't talk about stuff like this, so this is really funny to me.
Anyways, so far things seem to not be too traumatizing and I hope to have him wanting to sit on the potty again soon.
It is funny.  As soon as parenting seems easy, something new and challenging comes along.
So, as I have said before, we live in the woods pretty much.  We have had our share of interesting animals.  We are currently trying to cut the woods back a little farther away from the house.  We went out one day and James started cutting a dead tree that he was worried would fall on the house in a bad storm.  Well, this tree took up the entire day.  As it was going down, it got tangled up in the branches of another tree right next to it. James came up with all kinds of ideas as to how to get unhooked.  In the end, he ended up cutting it from the bottom three feet at a time.  It came loose and then got snagged by another limb farther down.  It was pretty comical.  James then tried to saw that branch with an extended manual tree limb say.  It was pretty thick and he got about half way before he had run out of energy.  When the tree finally fell, it fell in the opposite direction of where it was supposed to and missed the house by a few feet.  Then James went on to cut a few more trees down that we had planned on getting that day before calling it quits.  Well, one of those trees did hit the house.  Some how, nothing got damaged.  Our windmill that we keep in the yard right there didn't even get damaged.  (the windmill is to keep the voles out of our yard)  Good thing we say prayers and bless our house frequently.
The next time we were able to get outside and do some work, we had borrowed my mother in laws truck to load up the trees and take them to the dump.  We had big plans again to get a bunch of stuff cleared out.  We were just finishing up with our first load and James grunts and limps out of the woods and sits on the grass.  He had stepped on a rusty nail from an old fence that used to be up at the edge of our property.  Awesome.  So I got Landon and we carefully made our way out of the woods (we didn't know where the nail was yet) and then ran upstairs to get the first aid kit.  Luckily, James had a tetanus shot 8 years ago (when he shot himself in the hand with a nail gun.... well, the nail gun misfired.), so we cleaned it up real good and it has been healing ever since.
Last week James gave a talk in sacrament meeting about obedience.  He did a great job and had quite a few stories to tell, the rusty nail being one of them.

2 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

I am not so fond of woodland creatures in my house either... We haven't even attempted potty training with Dylan. I keep telling Hubby it will be his job. We'll see how it goes :)

Laura said...

McKenna's officially been in underwear for a month and a half... and I feel like we still have a long way to go.

Glad the nail wound is healing. I'd love to see pictures of you yard. We have MANY trees that need to come down.