Sunday, September 14, 2008

The First Glimpse of our little one/ones...


Okay, so we did IVF and it has been almost a piece of cake... I think that the hardest part has been... waiting to find out the pregnancy results! Of course, there were lots of shots and Lots of hormones... I am surprised that James still loves me!

So on Tuesday August 26th we had a retrieval where the Dr. goes in and takes out all of the eggs that had grown. We had ten eggs, but not all of them were good. From those ten, five were fertilized. Three days later, we went back to have the eggs transferred back into my body. I had to be on bed rest for the remainder of that day. The pictures above are the pictures of our two best fertilized embryos. The Grade is based on a 1 - 5 grade scale with 3 being average and 5 is the best. Considering that our embryos only incubate for a three day period with our Dr.'s office, they never see 5's. So I feel pretty good about the grades that my little embryos got!

The three remaining embryos, grades 3+, 3 and 3- got put in the freezer for possible future use.

Science is so amazing!

Okay, so like I said, the hardest part for me was waiting for the phone call the first day of my pregnancy test. I have never had a positive test before and I guess I just kept thinking that it was too good to be true. My wonderful girlfriend, Heather called me and kept me on the phone until it was time to call the Dr.'s office. She was such a lifeline to me that day...

So, finally almost an hour later, they called to tell me that my results looked really good. I had been told before that there was a chance of chemical pregnancy results for the first test, so I asked her what the chances were that on Thursday (two days later) the results of the pregnancy test would be negative? She told me that usually if it is a chemical pregnancy, the numbers are a lot lower. This news pretty much helped me to stay positive and not as nervous two days later when I went to do the blood work for the second pregnancy test...

They call before 3pm on Thursday to tell me that yes we are for sure pregnant! My hormone level had almost doubled and I now have a due date! Never thought I would utter those words!

I am due on 5-19-09 and I am almost 5 weeks along right now...

Okay, for those that think that makes absolutely no sense, I am 5 weeks along based on a 10 month cycle with week one being the first day of my last period. James is having a really hard time accepting this information...

If you have any other questions about me being so far along....Google it.







4 comments:

September said...

I googled it, you're right :0

Karyn said...

Javier says"Gee, now I know where babies come from...Thanks, Kista!

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

I am so happy that things worked out for you guys! I hope you and James are doing lovely! I will probably check up on you from now on ;) We are actually 20 weeks along with #3, so, I would be happy to offer advice if asked!!! Congrats to you guys again!!! You will be wonderful parents! And yes, kinda strange you get pregnant 2-3 weeks into your pregnancy :)

Lauren said...

I just found your blog via Austyn's and I have to tell me that I'm amazed you have pictures of your EMBRYO! A small but certainly incredible momento for such a long journey. Congrats on your baby!