Monday, February 23, 2009

Church Basketball stresses me out!

Okay, so this weekend was sorta busy... We sold our coffee table on Craig's list and James had a job fair to attend and then we took Tiger to his new home. (This one was the one for him) And then we ended the day at the church for the men's basketball league they just started up.
Well... I just have to say that my husband is 6'3 and pretty good. I used to go watch him play since we started dating and realized after a couple of years that I absolutely HATE going. I just don't understand how they can say a pray, start playing a game and then foul the crud out of each other, talk trash and so forth and then at the end, when you are sure there are about to be some strong words or punches, they all shake hands and grin like big idiots and tell each other good game. I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!! It drives me crazy! I seriously don't want take our children to watch their daddy play and see all of this behavior.
James said that he realized a long time ago that it just wasn't worth it to get aggressive because it brings out the worst in him. So he just goes literally for a fun work out and to shoot around with friends. And then the other guys have to start the trash talking or fouling...
I stopped going to watch about 3 years ago because I literally couldn't take it anymore. So, I thought that maybe this time, it would be okay. Well, trust me, it seemed to be a little worse now that I am pregnant. I was so stressed out that it took me a couple of hours to calm down after the game was over.... GROW UP BOYS! Your kids are there watching you throw your little fits and calling names. What do you think they take away from that????

5 comments:

jess and scott said...

I am sorry that it's such a bad experience for you. It is annoying when people can control themselves. It makes them look very immature and makes the game not nearly as much fun. Scott is in charge of stake basketball here and the refs actually keep things pretty well under control. I love it when I actually get the chance to go and see him play.

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Men/ym basketball has given me mixed feelings. At first, I took it all personal and got all hot and bothered. Then, I started to think of it as hilarious how immature and stupid they were being and I could just sit there and laugh. Its true... Prayer, trash talk, side tackle, foul, few baskets, prayer, the end... Just doesn't make sense. :)

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

PS- I love that they labeled your ultrasound picture... Head, Legs, etc. However, my favorite label is "baby"... In case we didn't know ;)

jax from the harmon squad said...

I've been blog stalking you for awhile (since we became friends on facebook) and am finally commenting! Anyway, I despise church basketball- I think it brings out the worst in people- and any related calling (yw basketball coach) is the only calling I would turn down. And I'm sorry James lost his job, but from what you wrote about him he looks like FBI material. Not only does he have accounting experience, but he has a degree in computers AND he speaks Chinese, which I'm pretty sure is one of their critical foreign languages. They're looking to hire right now so if he's interested he can start the application process March 2nd.

Coburn Ohana said...

So this post cracked me and Chris up! I was just informed that James unintentionally broke Chris' nose playing basketball when they were in high school. But I have seen this behavior from all of them, Chris, James, Brian, David...all go at it and then shake hands afterwards! It's crazy.